Hi guys, how are you all doing? I have decided to get over the fear of brown rice. Lol. Yes the fear. The stories I have heard about it haven’t been so appealing. People say it’s toohatd to cook and it tastes funny….:
Well let me update you all…it doesn’t taste funny, it tastes great and it’s not chewy at all. I liked it. It was so much tastier than expected.
Let me share with you all some health benefits of brown rice:
1. Rich in Selenium Brown rice is rich in selenium which reduces the risk for developing common illnesses such as cancer, heart disease and arthritis.
2. High in Manganese One cup of brown rice provides 80% of our daily manganese requirements. Manganese helps the body synthesize fats. Manganese also benefits our nervous and reproductive systems.
3. Rich in Naturally-Occurring Oils Naturally occurring oils are beneficial for the body as these healthful fats help normalize cholesterol levels.
4. Promotes Weight Loss The fiber content of brown rice keeps bowel function at it’s peak since it makes digestion that much easier. Brown rice is the perfect addition to the daily diet for those seeking bowel regularity. In addition, brown rice also makes the tummy feel full which translates to smaller meal portions.
5. Considered Whole Grain Brown rice is considered a whole grain since it hasn’t lost its “wholeness” through the refinement process. Wholes grains are proven to reduce the buildup of arterial plaque and reduce the risk of heart disease and high cholesterol
6. Rich in Anti-Oxidants This is one of the best kept secrets regarding brown rice. We usually associate anti-oxidant rich foods with blueberries, strawberries and other fruits and vegetables. The antioxidant capacity of brown rice is right up there with these super stars.
7. High in Fiber Brown rice is high in fiber and on top of the list for foods that can help prevent colon cancer. This can be attributed to the high levels of fiber naturally contained in brown rice. These fibers attach to substances that cause cancer as well as to toxins in the body, thus eliminating them and keeping them from attaching to the colon wall.
8. A Slow-Release Sugar Brown rice helps stabilize blood sugar levels; therefore, it’s an excellent food choice for those suffering from diabetes. Studies show that those who consume one half cup of brown rice daily reduce their risks of developing diabetes by 60%. On the other hand, those who consume white rice regularly increase their chances of developing diabetes one hundred-fold.
Info credit: Read more at http://www.vegkitchen.com
Now that we have all that covered, you can safely add this to your healthy meals. You won’t regret it. It is fitfam approved!
Ok, let’s get started shall we
- Brown rice
- Beef stock
- Olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons of curry
- 1 tablespoon of thyme
- White pepper
- Seafood mix (any seafood of your choice is fine)
- Mixed peppers
- Mixed vegetable
- 1 medium sized pot
- 1 frying pan
- Foil paper
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour: 30 minutes
Wash the rice and then soak for 30 minutes
After 25 minutes into the soaking time, place the pot on fire and heat up the stock.
After the 30 minutes is up, discard the water in the rice and then pour it into the boiling stock
Cover with a foil and close the lid tightly around it
Allow it to cook on medium heat for 30 minutes.
This is what you will get after 30 minutes.
The rice wasn’t done as I had expected, so I set it aside first.
Then I proceeded to make the sauce to finish off the cooking.
I added 2 tablespoons of oil, heat it up and then added all the spices and bay leafs. I let it heat up on low heat for about 1 minutes as the curry may burn if not careful. This method allows the flavours from the pice to be released. This makes a huge difference in the final taste.
Next I added the seafood mix, mix it with the sauce still on low heat
Next I added the mixed peppers and veggies
After about 3 minutes I added it to the rice
I then covered it with foil again and let it finish cooking for another 20 minutes on low heat.
After that, this was the result. It wasn’t many at all. The grains were still perfect and well cooked.
Picture with light
Picture without light
It’s all done. The Taste was absolutely amazing. I can’t believe I hadn’t eaten brown rice before.
You will love it as well, I promise. Here it is
I served it with Chicken Suya as well.
Check out the next post on how to make this amazing chicken Suya. Very healthy too!
That’s it from me today
I’ll see you all in my next post
Love Duchess O